Head of Design
Join our growing, collaborative team whose mission is ‘making the world more accessible’. CareScribe builds assistive technology to help people access the world and level the playing field.
At CareScribe we create assistive technology which helps to make the world more accessible. We believe everyone has the right to live the life they wish and that disability shouldn’t stand in the way, which is why we create products which help level the playing field. We have two products:
- Caption.Ed provides AI-powered captions for any live or pre-recorded media, and even face-to-face conversations. It also allows users to take time stamped notes against their recordings.
- TalkType provides best-in-class dictation software for Mac, Windows and mobile.
We’re aiming to become the UK’s leading assistive technology company and are making great progress to achieve this. It’ll be a lot of work, but we’re a great team and hope to do amazing things together!
Where you come in
We’re looking for someone to join our team as Head of Design to create the design vision to help us conceptualise, design and deliver amazing products. You will support CareScribe’s move from startup to scale up by leading the Design and User Research function. You will work closely with the Product Director to develop and execute on the overall product design strategy, design and user research roadmap, and design process.
This is a Head of level role and you will be a member of the Extended Leadership Team and a part of the Product and Engineering Council for measuring, monitoring and decision making.
You’ll have a drive to work in a fast paced technology environment and be passionate about building products to make a difference to our users. We work in a highly collaborative and agile way based in a fabulous office in Bristol, right by Temple Meads station.
Objectives and Responsibilities
You’ll be leading the end to end design function which includes product design, UX and user research and supporting the wider team with design requests. You will be the primary voice of design for the company, evangelising success and articulating vision.
- Own the design and user research roadmap in conjunction with the Product Director.
- Work collaboratively with our brilliant Engineering and Product team to deliver on the Product and Design strategies and roadmaps.
- Form strategic relationships with other department heads to identify areas where Design expertise may be realised to meet Company objectives.
- Own product design in addition to some website and graphic design (with the main focus being on product design).
- You’ll be heavily involved in research right through to launch, creating the design vision, working closely with the product owner and engineering teams within sprints right through to product release.
- As we are growing from a start up business to a scale up, part of the role will be hands on, including producing wireframes, mock-ups, prototypes, and designs, in addition to leading the team.
Leadership and Management
- Develop and lead a high performing team that continually delivers on its objectives through coaching and mentoring.
- Nurture a culture of cross-team collaboration and open honest feedback.
- Foster a continued learning culture with team members continually upskilling to improve company performance and realise individuals career goals.
- Help us to continue to build on an inclusive culture within the design team to promote people sustainability and to help make CareScribe a destination employer.
Knowledge and Skills
- Experience leading a team within a fast paced, scale-up environment.
- Highly experienced with working with product teams and UI/UX in an agile software environment.
- Highly experienced as a UX/Product Designer, prototyping, building and shipping web and mobile apps/features within a software product business, ideally across a portfolio of SAAS products.
- Deep understanding of user-centred design principles and how to leverage product design to meet user needs.
- Experience of working closely with User Research.
- Experience to enable you to ensure that our products are informed by user insights and data.
- Able to distil abstract business concepts into elegant creative solutions.
- Able to build bridges between product development disciplines, as well as customer success, marketing, sales, and other departments.
- Experience with the following tools
- Jira or equivalent (some experience with)
What we offer
- Bristol based location with flexible working arrangements. We’d like you to be able to come into our office by Temple Meads station two to three days a week to help facilitate collaboration. Working location and hours outside of this can be flexible.
- Salary of £64,000 to £80,000 depending on experience.
- 33 days annual leave (including bank holidays).
- Cycle to Work Scheme – up to £1,000 via salary sacrifice.
- Enhanced holiday – buy up to 5 additional holiday days per year and receive one free per year in service.
- Dog friendly office – for well behaved canines.
- Friends and Family – Free use of the software for up to five of your friends and family.
- Free soft drinks in the office.
We’re working on additional exciting new benefits constantly.
- Hit the blue ‘Apply for this job’ button in the right hand pane and send us your CV and cover letter (alternatively, send your CV and cover letter to [email protected]).
- Initial call with our Director of Product to find out a bit more about each other and to explore if there is a mutual interest to move things forward.
- Culture and Values interview – A chance to meet our Managing Director and Director of Technology, with a question and answer session exploring if you will add to our team culturally and if we have shared values. Also a chance for you to ask questions.
- Competency interview – A call with our Director of Product, Director of Engineering, Lead Designer and User Researcher to talk about the role and what skills and aptitude you have to demonstrate your fit for the role. Also a chance for you to ask any more questions.
- Offer stage.
CareScribe is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, disability, age, marital status, medical history, parental status or genetic information.