Join a growing, collaborative team whose mission is to provide innovative solutions that empower people with disabilities to capture and comprehend information. CareScribe is building assistive technology to help people access the world and level the playing field.
CareScribe builds award winning technology products that help remove barriers. We believe that everyone has the right to live the life they wish and disability should not stand in the way. Our products are used by thousands of people worldwide daily. You can find out more about any of our products by visiting carescribe.io.
We believe that diverse teams create the best outcomes. We therefore encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply for this role.
Where you come in
We’re looking to add to our growing team with individuals who enjoy a highly collaborative, positive, autonomous working environment with a high level of ownership over our products. We love team members giving their input on how we solve problems and get involved in Product and Engineering initiatives.
We’re flexible on your exact technical stack, but you’ll primarily be working on a mixture of backend solutions and frontend rendered UI using Ruby on Rails, with opportunities to work using Stimulus and TypeScript with CSS, so experience with Ruby on Rails is required.
We highly value people that ensure the long term health of the codebase and that it’s intuitive for other developers to work on in the future. Those that are happy working on the same base for a long time, perhaps in a product based environment, will be well suited to this role.
We’re looking for people around the mid-level of experience. This means you’ll be well established in your Engineering career and able to work fully autonomously, but require some input from more experienced developers on some areas where there are gaps in your knowledge and practices.
What you’ll be doing
- Deliver technical solutions to product requirements and company priorities.
- Ensure project deliverables are of the expected quality.
- Take ownership over the codebase for the duration of its lifetime, ensuring it’s efficient, reusable and reliable.
- Help shape ambiguous problems by working with others to give technical insight and remove unknowns.
- Identify and help prioritise technical and non-functional requirements.
- Help to shape Engineering function ensuring we follow a path of constant improvement in everything we do.
- Feedback and collaborate on others work to ensure the work delivered is of a high standard.
What you’ll need to be successful in this role
- Enjoys working in collaboration with others to ensure the best outcome.
- An inquisitive problem solver that keeps the user in mind when delivering solutions.
- Takes ownership of solutions from concept through to end of life.
- A solid understanding of the relevant technologies with a keenness to learn and continuously develop their skill set.
- A desire to be highly autonomous, seeking out solutions and driving them forwards
- Care deeply about other engineers and the codebase, ensuring it’s intuitive for the next developer that has to work with the code you’ve contributed.
- History of working on a codebase for the long term, ensuring its continual improvement and care.
- Familiarity working with mature Engineering practices and processes.
- This is a full-stack role and so we’re open to a collection of skills from this list rather than all of them. We don’t expect anyone to know all of these to a high standard, but familiarity with relevant parts of the stack will mean you can get up to speed quickly to deliver high quality solutions.
- Ruby / Ruby on Rails (required)
- TypeScript (desirable)
- Node.js (desirable)
- Cypress (E2E testing) (desirable)
- CSS (desirable)
- Docker (optional)
- Postgres (optional)
- Redis (optional)
What we offer
Bristol based location with flexible working arrangements. We’d like you to be able to come into our office right by Temple Meads station approximately twice a week to help facilitate collaboration. Working location and hours outside of this can be flexible.
- Salary of £46k – £63k depending on experience and expectations.
- 33 days annual leave (including bank holidays).
- Cycle to Work Scheme – up to £1000 via salary sacrifice.
- Enhanced holiday – buy up to 5 additional holiday days per year and receive one free per year in service.
- 5 % pension contributions
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity leave
- Work away for 10 days a year
- Charity match giving up to £200
- Flexible working hours
- Paid compassionate leave
- Enhanced company sick pay
- Individual monthly wellbeing allowance through the Heka platform
- Friends and Family – Free use of the software for up to five of your friends and family
- Free soft drinks in the office
- Dog friendly office – for well behave canines
- Company social events
- Apply – via LinkedIn or with CV and cover note / introduction to [email protected]. If you don’t have an up to date CV, don’t worry! Reach out to us for a chat.
- Initial call with our Head of Engineering to find out a bit more about each other and to explore if there is a mutual interest to move things forward.
- Culture and Values interview – A question and answer session exploring if you will add to our team culturally and if we have shared values.
- Project based interview – An overview of a project you have been involved in, including a demo and a look at some of the technology or code that makes it work.
- Offer stage.
CareScribe is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, disability, age, marital status, medical history, parental status or genetic information.
We’re really sorry but CareScribe doesn’t currently offer visa sponsorship.
Recruiters – we are not accepting speculative CV submissions for now, we will be in touch if we require your help. We will not treat any speculative CV submissions as referrals.